Saturday, November 19, 2011

Dear Book,

I am so. sorry.  I remember when we first met.  I was taking a writing course through The Institute of Children's Literature in CT, and I had an assignment and you just kind of came to me, piece by piece.  I loved you instantly, but as the course drew to a close I tucked you away and we grew apart.  The next time I saw you, I had grown up a little and I felt like you should too.  And so over the years I worked on you, picking you apart chapter by chapter and word by word until I had pretty much mangled you.  Sometimes I get a glimpse of what you could be, and that fills me with anticipation and I move forward.  Other times I hate you and I kind of want to rip you up into tiny pieces and light you on fire.  Ours is a complicated, passionate affair.  But through it all, you have been waiting for me to get it together and help you get published... I'm still working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment